Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Commodore rewarded me with the sum of N100, 000 –Imolode

It happened that I was representing a second defendant, a Commodore of the Nigerian Navy. It was a dispute over land. In my first appearance in the case, maybe because I was a little bit fidgety, a senior colleague related to some persons that our client could not afford the services of a good lawyer, even though he was a commodore in the Nigerian Navy.
The Commodore later related what they said to me and I took it personal. I felt that the law does not give consideration to age or experience in the Bar, even though the plaintiff ’s lawyer was a very old hand on the job, he is even older than my boss. So, moving the Notice of Preliminary Objection that we filed took me two days. The remarkable thing is that the new rule which allows for written address had not come into operation at the Federal High Court at that time. So, I had to argue our objection orally and I was facing a senior lawyer, who was also a senior to my principal.
But the matter was settled out of court because the court was willing to grant our preliminary objection. At the end of the case, the Commodore rewarded me with the sum of N100, 000. It was a lot of money at that time.
(Culled from Natioal Mirror.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...