Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

JULIUS AGWU SPEAKS- New entrants into stand-up comedy are lazy

Julius Agwu is one of the best in terms of stand-up comedy in Nigeria and he has contributed to the growth of the industry in many ways. He speaks with ADUNOLA OLADAPO on many issues. Excerpts:
(Source- Tribune)
You started out as an actor, which role will you say gave you the break?
It was “Rattle Snake.” But my major break was my first album because even after “Rattle Snake”, I was still shuttling between school and audition but my first album, “Okombo” became a household name and that was the major break. Also, the NTA sit-com, “Paradise Park” where I played the role of motor park tout alongside some other colleagues, also gave me an edge.

What were some of the challenges you faced as an actor?
You see, we started entertainment in a period when people saw entertainers as never-do-good, dregs of the society, unserious people, dropouts and my parents never liked the idea, so I had to do something drastic to convince them. Also, you can finish playing a role and get stipends, therefore, I had to look for other way.
Yes, those were the challenges, I manage to convince them to let me do what gives me joy, now the question is, how do you put food on the table with that?


From acting to comedy, why did you diversify?
My interest in stand-up comedy was initiated when I saw Bisi Olatilo at an end of the year party for First Aluminum in 1992, where he was the MC. It was in Portharcourt; he was there, dressed in his white outfit and was making people laugh. Also, I got tired of auditioning for roles. I thought to myself, ‘will I continue begging people for roles? Julius you have some other side to you which is comedy, why not establish it?’ so that was how I diverted and started to harness that part of me and behold, I was part of the first “Night of a Thousand Laughs” in 1996.  From there, I thought I should be doing more of comedy. I just got tired of hearing ‘cut – action – take it again – camera.

What are some of the challenges of stand-up comedy in Nigeria?
We have an influx of young talents in the industry now and that’s a good thing but the issue is that some of them are not working. They need to be creative, not to be tapping on other people’s jokes and go somewhere and use it like it’s theirs. Majority of them are lazy, they don’t work hard. That’s by the way; another thing is getting corporate organisations to realize that they need to really support this business called entertainment. The government is yet to realize that the major tool to re-branding the nation is entertainment. Every society has a bad part but unfortunately, the bad image of Nigeria has been over celebrated, the entertainment industry can be used to project the country’s good image by deliberating telling entertainers, Nollywood, bloggers to do so. These are the little ways government can improve the country’s image not by limiting everything to oil, when the oil finishes, what next?

How easy is it getting sponsorship for some of your shows?
It’s sad; those shows are self- sponsored. There was a time we were getting support from I.E.I – International Energy Insurance Company but when they recapitalized insurance companies and banks, they had to drop. You know, these organisations provide services to the people, they should also consider that we enhance their services by giving the people joy and laughter but some of the organisations in Nigeria do not understand the essence of Corporate Social Responsibility and it’s sad.

You entertained your class as a means of punishment for lateness; did you ever think entertaining people could become a source of livelihood back then?
I never knew, I just felt that was punishment but with time, I got used to it because in spite of the punishment, I must always come late because every morning first thing was to go help my mum sell her pap, you know Akamu? So, I was a perpetual late comer so I knew the punishment was to just sing and dance so I was always prepared for it. Initially, I will always cry out of shame and embarrassment but with time, I got used to it, in fact, before my teacher asks; I will already be on the stage.

How did you use entertainment to attract customers to sell your mum’s pap?
Yeah, during that period we had… we call them Uncle JB, they hawked medicine and in order to attract buyers, they will dance, you know, they dressed funny like clowns with protruding tummy and protruding backside but while they are at it, I’ll go into their midst and steal the show from them so people will begin to hail and give me money. It was really funny.

Was that what informed or inspired you to study Theater Arts in the university?
No, at that point I was just doing my thing, being funny and adventurous. When it struck was when I got to secondary school and I became a member of the drama society, then with time, I also became a social prefect and formed my home theater group which was, JAMMIIN which was an acronym for Julius Agwu Must Make It in Nigeria. So, with the theater group, I went to different schools to perform. All these were premises that made me know this is my calling. Right from secondary school, I have been going to theater to watch the likes of Ejike Asiegbu, Bob Manuel Udokwu, Hilda Dokubo and many more.

You are a very stylish person, what informs your style? Do you wear local labels?
 Right from the time I started entertainment, I said to myself that I was going to stand out and you know for you to stand out, you must be outstanding. Also, seeing that people used to consider entertainers as lay-about, I said to myself, I must look good and be the kind of person everyone wants to emulate. I see every event as an opportunity to add value and I do not know who is watching, so I make it as a point of duty to look good. Of course, I do wear Nigerian labels. I have a guy called Charles Anthony; he designs some of my stuff and I also have a few friends that I buy from like Korede Roberts, Message Ifeanyi, Yemi Formula, Phenomenon. I also pick my things when I travel.

What informed your decision to write your book now?
I have already made up my mind that at 40, I was going to write about my journey so far. 40 is the old age of your youth and of course the infancy of old age. Of course, life begins at 40. So where I’m coming from and where I have gotten to needed to be documented to capture all the challenges, joy, laughter… so that’s it. As you can see from the book cover, I call the age 40 a bus station where I contemplate my next move and all I ask God is to rearrange me, reinvent me, remodel me, repackage me, all the “re”(with emphasis on the ‘R’) and also remove all the unwanted.

Can you share with us some of the themes in your book?
The overriding theme is that of Inspiration. You know I was almost a victim of career imposition, my father wanted me to become a lawyer so he could stop paying lawyers over land dispute while my mum wanted me to become a carpenter because she felt she lacked furniture in the kitchen but I challenged them saying ‘look, let me follow my destiny’ besides there is nothing like doing what gives you joy. My passion is entertainment and I have the innate ability so I went for it.

So what is next  for Julius Agwu in the near future?
First of all is my TV Show “Jokes Apart.” Also my team and I are building a lot of content, I started from TV, one of the things that helped me as a comedian was a program  I used to anchor far back in the days on NTA’s “Laugh Line,” so I need to come back on TV, I want to be the voice of the voiceless because there are so many things going on in our nation and the only way to bring them out and trash it is through TV and that’s what “Jokes Apart” is about. It’s about giving back to the society.
 
Do you see yourself going into politics in the near future?
 The truth is, the way politics is being played in Nigeria is deadly. It’s not my area and I’m not a politician. I just want to be at the background and handle issues, that’s not to say if I get appointed, I’ll turn it down but there is no way I’m going to use my money to pick a form.
 
If you look back from where you are right now at 40, is there anything you would have done differently?
Considering the short comings of government and corporate organisations in the Entertainment industry if I could do anything different, by now I should have been a multi-millionaire. That’s if things worked out well and we have more support.
 
What is your word to people out there?
It’s 2013, but for Julius Agwu, it’s “20restarting” because as I turn 40, I've already stopped all the foolish things, a fool at 40 is a fool forever. It’s a new beginning for me and as I refresh, restart, rearrange, remodel, also know that this is a renewed Julius Agwu because I just got “rejuvenated” which is one of the title of my new singles. I’ll also like to say thank you to everyone who has supported this brand in one way or the other. I’ll like you to know I need your prayers and God will continue to favor us. It’s a new start for us all.

Tell us how marriage has changed you and how you blend the home-front and career so well?
Marriage humbled me. I was very rascally and made spontaneous decisions but now, I need to bounce it off my wife. Also no matter how time consuming my meetings may be, I try as much as possible to make out time for my daughter every day before she goes to bed so that she does not ask her mother one day that who is this strange looking man? Laughs!. Family is the most important thing. They are the reason for the hustle and everything that happens, they motivate me.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...